American Regional Theatre at the Spreckels
Mission Statement # 2c
To present and produce great performances from the world stage at San Diego’s Historic Spreckels Theatre creating a world class performance experience; To provide quality artistic programming and arts education that entertains, enriches, and enlightens diverse audiences of all ages; To respectfully restore, sustain, develop and maintain San Diego’s Spreckels Theatre complex and it’s support areas to their architectural, functional, and decorative splendor and usefulness; To provide quality state-of-the-art technical capabilities in all necessary performance mediums and to operate the stage works and equipment in a highly professional manner.
ARTS will achieve these aims in the following ways:
- Maximize potential, use, and value of the Historic Spreckels Theatre and The Geoffrey Off Broadway as a cultural watershed and highly respected performance venue(s) for presenters, producers, educators, and audiences from San Diego and beyond.
- Create a Five Year Business Plan (narrative projections) and Five Year Budget (financial projections) to chart our future goals, operations, finances; and implement it as the Master Operations Plan. The Board of Trustees will annually update at the Board Retreat and vote to approve and implement budgets.
- Pursuit of: a) presentation of dynamic, meaningful, challenging performances; b) continual learning; c) exploration) the creative process; e) and artistic virtuosity.
- Provide performing artists, producers, and presenters the environment and support that nurture dynamic performances for the performing artists and creates great memories for the audience.
- Adhere to the highest organizational standards for artistic and educational excellence, facility maintenance, fiscal responsibility, income generation; civic involvement, fundraising, and the ongoing Spreckels Theatre restoration.
- Contribute to the economic vitality of downtown San Diego, The Theatre District and the Gaslamp District. Help advance tourism.
- Pursue and establish Cultural Partnerships with other arts organizations, presenters, promoters, performers, educational intuitions, supporters; contributors; sponsors; in Southern California and beyond.
- Develop, support, and sustain the Spreckels Theatre Historical Archive and the creation of the Spreckels Theatre Memorabilia Gallery in the Spreckels Theatre Mezzanine Lobby, as well as offering paid regular tours for the public, and sale of souvenirs, concessions, and services.
- Encourage young artists, emerging companies, and creators
- Enlarging and marketing bookings for theatre, music, dance, opera, performance, film, conferences, business meetings; community events, educational programs, graduations; lectures, and weddings,
- Actively seek financial support for both contributed and earned income.
- Rigorous pursuit of excellence and courage to take risks.